WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Digital vs Film TV shoot-out

Old 29-10-08, 18:20

Thumbs up Digital vs Film TV shoot-out

GOOD NEWS FOR THE DIGITAL WORLD?

For those who may have missed..
UK TV programme called the 'Gadget Show' had an episode dedicated to 'blow-up'
The last part of the show had them testing two studio shots. One using film in a Nikon F5 nearly as battered as mine, the other one using the new bells and whistles digital D700, blew them up to building size, and decided which one they liked best.
here's the clip from the gadget show website;

http://fwd.five.tv/videos/challenge-blow-up-part-3

rather amusing that Suzi Perry said she liked film better, whilst they were having the shots done...then promptly chose the digital poster when faced with the results!! lol

Shame it didn't say which film was used in the F5, why iso 400 was chosen, and what was going on with white balance?

presumably they chose Nikon, as they couldn't find a film Canon Eos still working? lol
Old 29-10-08, 21:49

Quote:
presumably they chose Nikon, as they couldn't find a film Canon Eos still working? lol
Joe I congratulate your braveness in saying so but you know you are risking losing our well developed, deeply rooted friendship!! Well I think the reason they used film Nikon is because they can easily find them in junk where as Canon fans, strictly adhere to their well earned treasures over years so Canon's are so hard to find

Very nice one indeed and I was waiting to see one such compassion to show superiority of Digital world.
But lets be frank, despite all definite advantages of digital over film, still there are areas where film is superior for example, Astrophotography when deep sky imaging necessitates a very long, sometimes many hours of exposure and heat in digital sensor cause such extensive amount of noise that even with subtraction black screen technique still one can't get anything matching or you need to go for those tiny sensor highly expensive dedicated astro cameras such as Mead III or SBIG.

Bottom line, I am sad that could not chat with Ansel Adams and live in his era but very happy to be able to use digital camera today, the way they have emerged out with excellent features.

Thanks for sharing this nice link. Every one should have a peek.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 29-10-08 at 21:52.
Old 29-10-08, 21:57

Quote:
Joe I congratulate your braveness in saying so but you know you are risking losing our well developed, deeply rooted friendship!! Well I think the reason they used film Nikon is because they can easily find them in junk where as Canon fans, strictly adhere to their well earned treasures over years so Canon's are so hard to find

I was feeling brave when i posted this Sassan!.......My 'get out' if it all got nasty and I was shot down in flames, would've been something about this show being sponsored by PCworld, part of the same retail group as Currys, who I 'suspect' prefer to sell Nikon to Canon........or am I digging a deeper hole now! lol

I am in agreement with you. Besides, even if film is 'proven' to be the inferior, i still have to put a roll through every now and again, maybe just to here the wurr and click of the processor and the whiff of fixer!

Last edited by Joe; 29-10-08 at 22:04.
Old 29-10-08, 22:03
Super Moderator

Sassan I have already told my dear son-in-law Joe, that he can look at my new Canon 50D but not touch. He has blown it coming out with a statement like that. Its a good job he has both Nikon and Canon systems in his household otherwise he would be barred.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 29-10-08, 22:04

Ooooh....spoil sport!