WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Toshiba 8gb SDHC Memory

Old 27-11-06, 21:09

Default Toshiba 8gb SDHC Memory

This may be of interest

Tuesday, 21 November 2006

Toshiba announce 8GB SDHC memory
Toshiba has announced the introduction of the first 8GB SDHC Memory Card which it says will be available early in the new year. The new cards will be capable of a write speed in excess of 4MB per second up to 6MB per second and useable with all devices compatible with the SDHC specification. With some compact cameras now topping 10 Megapixels and entry-level DSLRs increasingly using SD format, the arrival of higher capacity cards is sure to be welcomed by many.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Stewart
Old 27-11-06, 21:48

I'd be nervous of keeping so many images on a single card. If it goes wrong, you've lost the lot (possibly). I'd be more comfortable with four 2MB cards, or some other combo. Once I have over 100 images on a card, I get worried and swap.
Old 27-11-06, 21:57

I seem to remember similar arguments about 1 then 2 gb cards, saying that my largest is 1 gb (but then I use xd). They have potential for anyone storing big image files. Any wagers on what price they'll be?

Stewart
Old 27-11-06, 21:59

I could not agree more with Yelvertoft. However as Digicams and entry level DSLR's are writing larger image files then larger storage cards are in more demand.

I reckon to store no more than 200 photos per card.
Old 30-11-06, 10:02

Something worth considering before anyone rushes off and buys one of these things...................

Your camera may well be able to take a SDHC card, but make sure your card reader can see them too. unless you transfer images by plugging the camera into the PC all the time.
Old 01-12-06, 20:55

I stick to 1.0 Gb cards, save everything as RAW files then download all to a homemade portable hard drive just before the card is full !! (Details of portable hard drive available for anyone who's interested).

nirofo.
Old 02-12-06, 02:59

nirofo I am interested in the detail of home made portable HD.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 02-12-06, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
nirofo I am interested in the detail of home made portable HD.

Hi sassan

The portable hard drive is easily built from readily available components, details below. Instructions come with the case.

Portable Storage Digital Camera Backup Card reader B14.
£11.99 + £5.49 post & Insurance.

Details as follows:

USB 2.0 Portable Card Reader / HD Case ( Hard Disk Not Included )
The Fastest and most convenient way to back up your picture files.
Imagine, install a 20 GB or even up to 80 GB hard drive into this Digital Partner.
When you are shooting outdoors or on vacation when your memory is full, you can simply remove the memory card and insert it into the Digital Partner, push the " COPY " button and it will backup all your data into the Digital Partner. Since flash memory is so costly, with Digital Partner, you can bring it along and take as many photos as you can, back them up, and re-use it as much as you like!
Or use it as portable hard drive, you can transfer files or your Data, Files, Photos, Mp3, Songs, Movies, Office Works... between any computers to this Digital Backup.
You can also install your laptop hard disk into this Digital Partner and link to any computer equipped with USB for data recovery purpose.
Features:
USB 2.0 2.5" Hard Disk Case
Support 2.5" 9.5mm Hard Disk
USB 2.0 Interface to connect with Computer ( compatible with USB 1.0 / USB 1.1 )
Use it as portable hard drive, you can backup your Data, Files, Photos, Mp3, Songs, Movies, Office Works... from any computers to this Digital Backup
USB 2.0 Card Reader
(Direct read all the flash memory and copy into the hard disk! Without any computer.)
Support Flash Memory Cards:
  • Compact Flash I
  • Compact Flash II
  • IBM Micro Drive
  • Smart Media
  • Memory Stick
  • Memory Stick Pro
  • Memory Stick Duo
  • Secure Digital
  • Mutimedia
Built-in Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, operation time: 2 hours ( Approximate )
OTG Definition: A supplement standard to USB specification that enable point-to-point communication among portable devices.
LCD Display to show the operation status.

Weight: 145g (excluding hard disk).

Dimensions: 124 x 82 x 26 mm.

Support File System:
UNICODE long file name
FAT32 support for hard disk drive
FAT 12 / 16 / 32 support for memory cards
Support Operating Systems:
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Mac OS
Linux

Package includes:
  • 1*Card Reader/HD case
  • 1*Power adapter
  • 1*Leather case
  • 1*USB cable
  • 1*CD driver
The sticky chinese labels are easily removed from the case!

Web Link for purchase: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Stora...em280056057956

Hard Drive:

Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 8MB Cache.
£42.54 inc VAT & Carriage.
Web Link for purchase:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/87665/rb/23452741002

Total price for a 40Gb Portable Storage Digital Camera Backup, complete with, built in multi Card reader and Rechargeable Li battery, plus Battery charger, USB 2.0 cable and a carrying pouch = £60.02.
Nearest commercially available equivalent storage device is well over £100.

All prices are in pounds sterling but can be purchased for equivalent cost in most currencies.

If you have any problems let me know and I will try to help.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B14_0.jpg (108.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by nirofo; 02-12-06 at 14:58.
Old 02-12-06, 16:52

Appreciated very much nirofo.

Looks like a very nice solution and the seller you have referred to also appears reliable with 19000 plus item sold on ebay and feedback of 99 pulse.
This makes a wonderful addition to any ones travel with stretching the shooting capacity significantly.
I have the commercial version and yes was a lot more expensive nevertheless worths every penny it to have those memories back home. I am considering this one too.

Questions;
1) What happens if you send the same file again to storage. i.e. with same name files, will it overwrite or makes a newly named directory for every copy attempt?
2) Why the upper limit of HD size is mentioned as 80GB? Can't it read 120GB 2.5 HD that is getting cheap these days?
3) Is the quoted battery life that looks very long, for real in your experiment?
4) What happens if the battery dies in middle of download? Will there be any damage or data lose? In other word have you experiment this?
5) What is the limitation of HD's thickness? Does it need a strictly 9.5mm or larger drives can physically fit in the case?
6) What is an avarage typical download time say on 1 or 2 GB CF (or whatever other size, type memory you have used with it) when memory card is full?

I am sure this is very useful for many members and definitely a lot cheaper that larger memory cards.

Thanks again.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-12-06, 01:57

Hi sassan

To answer your questions.

1. It writes a new file name each time.

2. I don't see why you can't use a 120Gb hard drive as long as you format it FAT32. (Don't use Win XP to format any drives you intend to use with this unit).

3. I've never actually used the battery to the end of it's charge, that's asking for corrupted downloads if the battery dies! I always make sure it's fully charged before I go out with it. (The chargers universal voltage by the way).

4. If the battery dies in the middle of a download you don't lose your files from the card, only the last file to be downloaded onto the hard drive. (Always make sure you have plenty of charge left in the battery before attempting a download! There's a bargraph display on the unit screen showing battery charge remaining).

5. 9.5mm maximum thickness.

6. I use mainly SanDisk Ultra ll 1.0Gb CF cards, a full card (996mb) takes approx 3 minutes to completely download to the hard drive. You can put the unit in your pocket and allow it to download while you continue shooting on your spare cards! I have several of these 1.0Gb cards and so far don't see the need for the big ultra expensive high speed cards, especially when I can download them to my portable hard drive. I have one Sandisk Ultra ll 2.0Gb CF card which I rarely use.

Most of the work I do with my cameras is with wildlife, mainly birds, I shoot anything to do with natural history, lots of landscapes and some archeological stuff. All my digital photography is saved as RAW files, (61 to a 1.0Gb CF). If I need JPEGS I make them in Nikon Capture NX or Photoshop CS2. The only time I find myself needing more than 61 shots is when photographing flying birds or some mating ritual, but then it only takes a few seconds to take a full card out of the camera and put an empty one in. I download the cards to the portable hard drive when I have time or at the end of the session.

If anyone needs assistance with making one of these units please PM me.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 03-12-06 at 02:29.