WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Is photography a high risk activity?

Old 25-01-07, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2005 View Post
I would like to see the photos the guy took and was it worth the leap??
Good point.
I am certain that you saw the better picture and he got the adrenaline rush he was after...

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 27-01-07, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
What you don't see is that this isn't quite as death defying as it first appears. There is a ledge between the two rock outcrops just below the bottom of the frame. Well its about a 10-15ft drop so he risks a broken leg but not much more.
A drop of 10-15 ft can do a lot more damage than that. Last September, there was a story in the local newspaper of a builder who had fallen 9ft off of some scaffolding, he died from his injuries after battling for his life for three weeks in hospital. I know of other serious injuries from smaller heights than 10-15 ft.

Even if he does "just" break a leg, such an injury in this location would not be trivial, I hope he had insurance that covered him for being helicoptered out of here. My opinion is that the guy is a few frames short of a full reel.
Old 27-01-07, 17:27

As a former climber I can attest to the risk factor in this activity. I suspect he was a confident climber probably having done several solo climbs(without ropes) so was supremely confident in his ability to make the jump.

I have only ever done 3 Solo climbs. 2 V diffs and a Severe. Whilst i was confident I could do them and they were on 10 metres high or so they were very nerve wracking not having the safety of a rope being attached.

I greatly admire his nerve!! Not for the faint heated. Personally I would have set up a safety, ledge or not!!

Nogbad
Old 27-01-07, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
As a former climber...

I greatly admire his nerve!! Not for the faint heated. Personally I would have set up a safety, ledge or not!!

Nogbad
Thanks for prevailing safety.
Such nerves soon leads to faint body of existence though.

What I am amazed from the serious climbers is their perseverance and goal orientation, when is covered by umbrella of safety. Looking at guys who for instant climb El Capitain in Yosemite (You remember this from "Close encounters of the third kind - 1977") that is about 1 Km vertical rock and takes 3 days and nights to climb fully (of course if not adversely shortened the other direction), as to how they do their other things, you know what???!!!

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 31-01-07, 18:25

Sassan they have strict guidelines of what "you take in, you take out"!!

This means they have to pack all the you know whats in haul bags and take it with them on the climb. This includes all their water, food cooking equipment etc. Half of the time is spent hauling huge bags up after them.

When its all done they then have to haul the "you know whats" all the way down and take it out of the area to be disposed off in the correct manner.

The park authorities are very particular about keeping the area clean.

Nogbad
Old 01-02-07, 05:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
As a former climber I can attest to the risk factor in this activity. I suspect he was a confident climber probably having done several solo climbs(without ropes) so was supremely confident in his ability to make the jump.
Nogbad would you be wearing same footware?
Old 04-02-07, 10:12

Hi George, I suspect he had some form of Rubber soled footwear. Normally climbers wearing crippling Rock shooes made from Aviation "sticky Rubber" which grips like you know what to a blanket! However it is possible to get whats known as approach shoes made from the same knd of Rubber. In effect trainers with climbing soles. I suspect he was wearing these!

I wouldnt want to spend lots of time in a pair of rock boots if I was'nt climbing they are so unconfortable.

Nogbad