WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Funeral Photography

Old 19-04-09, 20:01

Default Funeral Photography

I've been asked to photograph the funeral of a friends father in the next couple of weeks. Oddly enough we've always said "tongue in cheek" that we photograph anything including funerals, never really expecting to be asked ! Sadly now I have.

I'm use to doing weddings and christenings, this is something very different and I would welcome any input from the forum members.
Old 19-04-09, 21:05

Phew, that's a tough one. I guess the best approach is the same as with a wedding or any other significant event - talk to the client to find out what they want from you. Their ideas may be quite different to your expectations. (Eg 'celebration of life' rather than 'funeral' - it would make for a very different photographic approach)
Old 19-04-09, 21:58

Same as funerals, plenty of group shots and capturing the meeting of old friends.
Old 19-04-09, 23:50

With my clergy hat on, I've known a few funerals that had photos taken - speak to your friend and find out what the service will be - in church followed by cremation or burial. Just at the cemetery - burial, cremation, cremation followed by burial of ashes? There are many types - religious or nonreligious. As Gordon says will it be a funeral or a celebration of life? I would say you need to be unobtrusive. The best results I saw were a set showing the coffin in church, surrounded by flowers, head and shoulder shots of the close family and friends and groups - all taken with a long lens. The MOST important point is to chat with the undertaker - he tends to run the show and he can be most helpful, if you need to stage manage some shots. So chat with your friend and see what he wants, and with the undertaker to find out how the funeral will be run. if there are clergy involved - some are a bit upity about pictures in church - again undertaker should smooth things along as that is what your friend is paying him for.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 20-04-09, 22:28

Two words spring to mind "maintain respect", other than that good luck and please post the results.
Debbi
Old 21-04-09, 20:27

Thanks Guys especially Andy153.

I have no qualms about doing the ceremony, and am honoured that this person has asked me. Doing a bit of surfing I noted that it seems to be a big thing in the US, where they seem to treat it as part of life's bigger picture. Here in the UK it's treated with a bit more reserve.

I have thought it through and to the greater extent decided to go with the 70-200 F2.8 taking them from a distance, no in your face which I feel would be too intrusive. The family concerned are SriLankan and the funeral will take place at one of our local churches.

In a strange way I am looking forward to a challenge and something different to a wedding or christening.
Old 08-05-09, 18:26

I thought you maybe interested in an update.

The funeral was over two days. A family gathering on Thursday evening with an open coffin and a bigger gathering today with friends and colleagues.

The family gave us carte blanche to do what we need to do and the vicar the same.

My wife stood back with her 70 - 200 and took the shots in the crowd type images, while I concentrated more on getting the family, emotions and images of the coffin.

The light was not good in the church and we had to work without flash, at times resorting to 1250 ISO to get the shots.

There were the expected comments from those who were not use to having photographers at funerals, and in a couple cases abhorration at the thought. But all in all we were well received and ignored. We were very conscious of the sound of our shutters clanking open and closed, which echoed around the church, though the family said they didn't notice us at all.

I'm pleased with the images we got, and hope the family will be as well. They intend to send them to family and friends worldwide.

If the opportunity arises again we would certainly consider doing another funeral.
Old 08-05-09, 18:49

Glad it went well, the photographs will no doubt keep your friend and his relations memories alive for years to come.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 09-05-09, 08:21

Thanks Andy

I can't say it was the nicest of subjects to photograph, however looking at the images this morning I feel it is one of the most rewarding.

Ian
Old 11-05-09, 08:13

Don't forget the power of B & W and Sepia in this setting.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN