WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Flash - Behind the scenes

Old 25-01-08, 07:55

I think I still prefer my friendly photoshop, both for ease of final result (No sweat, of course no unusual fun either) and also for much more controlable end result.
Here is my go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReflectionsSS3.jpg (96.6 KB, 19 views)

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 25-01-08, 11:08

Smartie pants Sassan.

Very neat, and how you did that may be of interest to those unable to get black acrylic or have anywhere to paint a sheet of glass.
I would be interested anyway.

I see you did this work on image 1 ( black paint v velvet ). It would be interesting to know if your method works on image 2 ( black paint v mirror ). As you can see from that the mirror gives a lighter reflection, and the size of the double reflection can to a degree be controlled by angle of view. ie taken from higher angle then it would be closer to the double reflection from velvet and glass.

As for me I do not have your photoshop skill so have to find a way of doing it in camera hence going the Rudra glass way.

I was about to paint my new larger sheet of glass but will hold off in case I need to do a pic with black velvet to try your pp method on.

Don
Old 25-01-08, 11:18

My rules suggest the picture should be created in the camera then enhanced in photoshop not added to.

Rudra glass is the best way forward.
Old 25-01-08, 11:40

I have to do it in camera as I do not know how to do it in pp.

I promised Sassan the F2AS. Lighter reflection from glass and black velvet may be the way to go hence I need to experiment before painting my bigger glass.

Attatched is an early Nikkormat shot taken with black card under perspex and it seriously suffers from double reflection.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikkormat FT3.jpg (97.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 26-01-08, 11:08

As I have some clear perspex sheet that I can use to replicate the effect of glass and velvet I decided to paint the glass yesterday evening.

Foxy's and my glass were painted with Halfords matt black spray paint. No probs.

WARNING:

For this sheet I used locally sourced ' CarPlan ' matt spray paint. Despite wearing a mask the fumes from the ' CarPlan ' paint were something else. Far worse than from Halfords paint despite both being cellulose.

Something I did not think about at the time was that the fumes from the paint got into my clothing. After the last coat I came in from the workshop and logged onto WPF. After a few minutes on the forum, Lucky our stray budgie fell of his perch and was in a bit of a disoriented state. The reason quickly clicked as he had had a similar reaction to white spirit. So I quickly changed clothes and ventilated the room.

Lucky is fine and as I type this and is sitting on my hand chatting away.

Don
Old 26-01-08, 11:23

Give my best wishes to Lucky (lucky little thing)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-07-08, 10:19

Lighting for JBL coaxial. Sorry, I didn't have any other camera to shoot the set up...so a quick Photoshop illustration.

Don can probably add more to this set up.

Setup.jpg
Old 03-07-08, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
.............. Don can probably add more to this set up.
What more could I possibly add to that Rudra , other than a suggested method for those without a studio 500 joule unit where you could substitute normal flash guns and diffuser. Never going to get you quite the same light or the ability to get to f29 though.

Super job Rudra and thanks for taking the time to do the graphic. Cannot say it enough times .......... Totally stunned by the pic.

Don
Old 03-07-08, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
other than a suggested method for those without a studio 500 joule unit where you could substitute normal flash guns and diffuser.
So you're not taking the responsibility Don??

Well, a flashgun (Metz hammer head type) can be used to get result like this. Place the flashgun behind an acrylic (white) sheet. Distance between that sheet and flash shouldn't be more than a foot.

Flash will create a graduated intensity (more like a hot spot). Strong in center and gradually losing it’s strength. This has one advantage. It often allows you to shoot without a cutter or an opaque card.

Main issue here is the power, which is even less now by coming through that acrylic sheet. Put the flash in full power and camera in bulb setting. Make the room totally dark and go for multiple flashes. One may needs to fire the flash ten/fifteen time to get an aperture of f22+..

This is a trial and error process but can yield satisfactory results. However this cant be the substitute for a studio flash… Oh, how I miss my old Multiblitz system.

Last edited by Rudra Sen; 03-07-08 at 16:33.
Old 03-07-08, 16:19

Lighting set up for black Mercedes Benz E220.

Dia.jpgE11.jpg