WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

canon 350d which lense

Old 25-03-07, 15:00

Default canon 350d which lense

Hi there I am new to D.S.L.R. JUST PURCHASED 350 D which 70 300 lense ? my own choice would be ef 70 300 do is usm. due to its size only 100 mm long . I know this is the short end of long lenses.any comments and advice wellcome.I posted same quirey on BF. only one reply. purhaps this lense is not being used most other lenses quoted are sigma tamron or nikon.would this lense be not suitable for hand held use or is it the cost.thanks in antisipation regards john
Old 25-03-07, 15:32
Super Moderator

Hello John a very warm welcome to the forum. Someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction, what type of photography are you into, they will probably need to know before any advise can be given.

As you can see by set-up I have the Canon 75-300 non is lens and use this without a tripod no problems, I also have a few others depending on what I want to photograph at the time.
Some of the members with more experience in lens would be better to help you on your way to getting the right one. Hopefully soon you will get the answers you want. Enjoy the site.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 25-03-07, 16:07

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I use a 70-300 DO IS lens on a 350D. It's a great little lens (although expensive) with reasonable reach, and light enough to carry around all day, especially with birdwatching gear. The AF is quick enough and the IS works very well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lens. I also use a Tamron 200-500 to get closer to birds and a Tamron 24-135 for landscapes etc., but the 70-300 is a good all-purpose workhorse.
Look forward to seeing your posts when you decide.
Old 26-03-07, 21:43

I too have the 70-300 DO IS USM. Love it and on your 350d gives 480 equivalent focal length. The main criticisms you will come across on various forums are a tendency to flare when shooting with a bright light source just out of the image, and sometimes odd artifacts around very bright highlights caused by the DO part of the optical train. Never had either of these problems myself (I always use the supplied hood). Another lens to consider is the latest version of the none DO 70-300 IS lens which is much cheaper and is optically very good. Make sure if you buy one (none DO) that you get the very latest version as the early ones had problems with their mechanical design and construction since corrected. Love my DO and it is my walk about lens and gets used more than any of my other lenses.
Old 27-03-07, 20:24

Default 350d 70 300 do THANK YOU ALL.

Hi thank you replying to my quirey about what lens . I will be purchasing one in the near future.will try and post first attempts later.To start with i will use auto.to get to grips with new camera and lens if i get into trouble i know where to come to .once again thank you IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN YOU ARE A FREINDLY LOT .regards john.
Old 07-04-07, 12:48

Just joined this site and pleased to find other 70-300 DO IS USM users here. It's a great lens, and very versatile. No problem getting bird pictures with it, but I mainly shoot foxes, and it's perfect for that as long as you don't get too close. Which I do, so have just picked up a 24-105 4L for those situations.
Old 08-04-07, 06:53

Make sure you don't fall for 75-300 IS that has several problems. For a little higher price 70-300 IS is fine.

If budget is tight, look into Non IS ver that in USA is about $ 150, IMO one of the best priced for quality canon lenses.

If you are more serious about the quality of your images and have larger flexibility with the budget, you may want to look into one of the 4 sister "L " class (Best quality glass canon ever made) in the 70-200mm range. You have F 4 non IS in lowest price spectrum, upto F 2.8 IS, highest price. They are the best money can buy for you. You will never regret to have spend your money for any one in this class (Vice versa you may feel very much regret otherwise) and as these lenses do keep their value very well, you can always sell them on ebay for almost what you paid for them as long as you have not damaged your lens.

Adding a 1.4 Mk II extender, you are at almost 300mm equivalent without any quality loss. 2x is said to decrease the quality a bit (I am yet to see that in my own experience) and gives you even higher reach out.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 13-04-07, 22:49

I recently p/ex some gear for the 70-200 F4 L iS ,and when used with the 350D it really is a superb little lens.Here is a shot taken this afternoon,through the window,only using 1 hand to hold the cam and press the shutter,was using the phone in the other hand,and did not want to miss the opportunity of this shot.
I bought this lens for general portrait type shots and as a one off birding lens.the Sparrow was to near to use a 400 lens,but this shot,I am 100% okay with.
Highly recommendable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12th-April-094.jpg (195.1 KB, 22 views)

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 15-04-07, 16:08

Christine, you must work out, one handed and got this shot. Amazing.

"It's just one opinion and you know everyone's got one."