WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Nikon pre-release new camera

Old 24-07-06, 12:25

Default Nikon pre-release new camera

Nikon are running a pre-release campaign for their new offering. The only detail is the camera will utilise a 10.2Mpx sensor similar to D200. It is rumored the camera will replace D70/D70s.

There are sixteen days from date of writing until the new camera will be announced.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/
Old 25-07-06, 12:15

Does anyone else get the impression that manufacturer's are getting more like Hollywood film studios? Never mind the product, buy the hype!
Old 25-07-06, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
Does anyone else get the impression that manufacturer's are getting more like Hollywood film studios? Never mind the product, buy the hype!
No doubt about it.

Is this an attempt to dissuade potential Sony Alpha buyers, even though it's probably the same sensor?

http://www.nikon-euro.com/DoesNotDisappoint/

Harry
Old 25-07-06, 15:55

Nikon needs to replace the D50, i.e. an entry level camera at competitive price to Canon's XT / 350. And I emphasis on price being match or better than XT/350. Right now if anybody wants advice from me as to go for 1st DSLR, my generalized answer is XT or if budget is an issue, Pentax iST DL, especially if upgrade is not an issue in future.

But the major issue Nikon needs to consider is out flux of many Professional (Talking of F class) that attracted by excellent choices and quality of Canon's L series lenses have already said good bye to Nikon. I could not believe the ridiculously low price I paid when hunting a Nikon N90s AP E2000 with digital back from Kodak on ebay this week end, just because the news paper firm selling this has switched to Canon, disposing all of Nikon inventory. Just have a look at any major world level sport (World Cup for instance) and see what percentage of professionals are not using those lovely long heavy white lenses with attractive Red ring in front i.e. Canon L users?
I think Nikon has started some effort with introduction of very competitively priced good quality 18-200mm VR Lens but this should be the area of concern Nikon needs to consider and address, if they are not going to loss more of their professional fans.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 26-07-06 at 04:28.
Old 26-07-06, 21:10

Mmmm....the D70/70s is the obvious candidate for replacement. A model between the D50 and D200. The D50 is comparatively new and certainly holds its own against the 350D Canon - hence the number of people buying it and the shortage of stock in some places. There are hundreds of thousands of DSLR users, especially buyers of the budget models who'll never buy more than the kit lens and a budget telephoto so the cost and availability of pro lenses is'nt that much of an issue when deciding which brand to go for.
From what I've read Nikon are committed to providing the most affordable entry level DSLR on the market and at the moment they have that in the D50. They need to ensure they have something to compete with the likes of the new Sony [reviews actually seem bit lukewarm considering the hype] which will attract those who've been using the D70 for a while, D50 users wanting to upgrade and those who can't quite afford the D200 as their first buy.
As a more than contented D50 user [having previously used D30/300D/10D/D70] I'm interested in what this new model has to offer - might just get another D50 though!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 27-07-06, 05:07

Hi greypoint.
I was referring to Nikon's need to address the other end users i.e. Professional who already have DX2 and are lacking that especial lens etc.
Agree that D50 is an attractive entry SLR camera out of box and possible simpler that XT in first look, but as a user of both bodies D50 limits me every time with things that are for granted in XT. One thing I miss badly on D50 is once you use those old Nikon lenses (Good that mount is interchangeable) you can only use "Manual mode exposure" and AV that is accessible with lots of ease in XT, just wont work with Nikon. List doesn't end here and I do not want to get that grainy sensor comparison that makes XT way ahead in competition. But D50 actually sounds good literary, I am talking of the sound of shutter release .

" JOE BIDEN
Old 27-07-06, 06:10

Well I don't want to get into that old and pointless Canon v Nikon debate as to me it's a matter of which suits you best but we must agree to differ on the relative merits of the 350D and D50! I have to admit I have'nt used a 350D but, as I said previously, I have used other Canon models and the 350D controls etc look much the same. Nothing about the D50 limits my picture taking in any way -and here I am talking basic SLR photography. It has every manual mode and even though a couple things like metering modes and AF are in the menu the menus are so fast to access it's hardly a problem. In fact the whole camera is a real speed machine to use for a basic amateur model. Yes you have to use manual exposure with old lenses - but you can't use FD lenses with Canon DSLRs at all or some of the older Sigmas so the use of old Nikkors at all is a bonus. Ooh and did I mention spot metering?! Comparing image quality looking at lots of photos taken with both cameras the differences are often due to the quality of the lens and the quality of the photographer - I usually find if noise appears in my correctly exposed shots it's after my rubbish PC processing. I believe dpreview put the D50 a tad above the 350D in respect of high ISO noise. Again, look at the user reviews on dpreview - both cameras are highly rated. On another forum that I frequent 'which budget DSLR shall i buy' is one of the most asked questions -the reply is always 'try them all and see which handles best'. At the moment the D50 is winning hands down and there are no follow ups on the lines of 'I've bought a D50 and it restricts my photo taking because....' - quite the reverse.
So in my opinion, either camera, or system will fill the needs of most photographers and the new Nikon priced between the D50 and D200 would be a tempting buy for many and a real competitor for the 30D. That does'nt mean that for another section of the camera buying public, the 30D will remain the best affordable model on the market. Most of us will never get to the lofty heights of pro cameras and £5000 lenses!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 27-07-06, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by greypoint
Well I don't want to get into that old and pointless Canon v Nikon debate as to me it's a matter of which suits you best but we must agree to differ on the relative merits of the 350D and D50!
No nobody wants, in sound mind to enter into chicken and egg dispute. Bottom line we are talking of 2 of the best of the bests for the given category. All I hope to, as a consumer, is to get the better product at lower price and boy I am glad things are moving so quick in that direction.
I have no doubt we do agree on relative of merits. For me its the extend of discovery of, and relative familiarities that makes one a better choice than the other and surely I do not expect this to be the same for everyone.
BTW do not pass the secret but I think I have the answer to "Which came first?" Its definitely the egg that came before chicken. How I know it? I eat egg first in morning for breakfast and Chicken later for lunch or dinner.....

Quote:
I have used other Canon models and the 350D controls etc look much the same.
You are a lot smarter than me. Hate to admit but I have one XT and one 30D and still get confused in changing some of the basic functions such as ISO, compensatory flash, burst mode etc when switching from one to other. They are so different in my experience. Wish Canon engineers could consider some way of more familiar orientation in control approach between different lines of their products.

Quote:
Yes you have to use manual exposure with old lenses - but you can't use FD lenses with Canon DSLRs at all or some of the older Sigmas so the use of old Nikkors at all is a bonus. Ooh and did I mention spot metering?!
Do you want to consider thinking again. Just pay attention to shooting data and EXIF that I do not disable or try not to forget, on my shots FIRST THIS ONE, and then THIS ONE. Aren't you surprise the first one is FD 200mm 2.8 on EOS 30D and the second one Old Sigma with so called incompatible chips one EOS XT? I won't go into more detail unless you want it, but it suffice to say I hunted both these lenses at shamefully low prices probably because many people think these are not compatible so let them go so cheap. Gosh I am probably creating more competitors on used low price items, but well I get help form good friends such as you and should not expect anything less in return.
As for Spot metering your right, that is one improvement Canon made on 30D but personally with available auto bracketing on AV mode or EV +/- compensations or even available manual and NO cost to extra picture on digital cameras, why to take a chance when you can have several options at the end of the day. So no I am not that much for spot metering, because either I do not know its advantages well or know better ways to bypass it.

Quote:
So in my opinion, either camera, or system will fill the needs of most photographers and the new Nikon priced between the D50 and D200 would be a tempting buy for many and a real competitor for the 30D.
Could not be any more agree with your first part of comment.
I see on daily basis that D70 users are upgrading to D200 so I feel they are very similar in terms of demand / consumer's reach, and Nikon actually needs to address the other 2 extremes of consumers spectrum, more clearly; for D50 side, cheaper price for D2X/H side, more versatile options that once upon a time Nikon was the unbeatable brand in that field. No mater what, existance of competing giants serves one the best, "The consumers".

BTW greypoint, please excuse me if I went to further discussion. My aim by no means is to say I am right or vice versa, I just enjoy friendly discussions and once being a firm monotonous believer of Nikon, I am today a mostly Canon user for reasons I learned through such discussions and friends like you and who knows soon may Nikon have my vote or may be Fuji, Olympus or even Whatevernon if the price is right and product works for me.
Last but not least, do you want to see the best camera in the world that we both will agree on with no doubts? Use this LINK and tell me if you agree?

" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 27-07-06 at 14:12.
Old 27-07-06, 17:56

Quote:
Aren't you surprise the first one is FD 200mm 2.8 on EOS 30D and the second one Old Sigma with so called incompatible chips one EOS XT?
I'd love to know how you get an FD lens to fit an EOS body.
Old 27-07-06, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong
I'd love to know how you get an FD lens to fit an EOS body.
Aye, me too. Unless you have some form of adaptor ring