WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Luggage for 300/2.8+camera

Old 21-04-06, 13:22
Admin

Default Luggage for 300/2.8+camera

Does anyone have any suggestions for luggage to accommodate a 300mm f2.8 + big dslr? I don't want a massive Lowepro thing, just something to take what I need... something like a Lowepro lenstrekker AW600 but for a 300/2.8

Tenba had one that I liked the look of but I can't find anyone who sells their stuff in the U.K. anymore

Cheers,
Andy
Old 21-04-06, 13:49
Super Moderator

A while back I posted a photo of a home made camera bag. Its a basic rucksack £9.99 with a few modifications. It will hold a camera plus lens Canon 100-400 lens or my 170-500 with a few extras. http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...3&d=1139607442

What is useful as well it doesn't have any of the camera bag names on it so it it just looks like an ordinary bag.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 21-04-06, 15:54

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

When I bought my new camera, I also bought a Roots backpack style camera bag. It is very similar to the Lowenpro one but about $30 cheaper and is at least as good aquality. It holds both my 20D and my Coolpix 4500 plus all the other odds and ends. When travelling I can even fit my binos in the exterior pocket. Perhaps bigger than you're looking for but I'm really happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 april 2006 176.2.jpg (170.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20 april 2006 187.2.jpg (256.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Snowyowl; 21-04-06 at 15:58.
Old 10-03-07, 13:26

You should look at the Kata Range of bags and backpacks, which are sturdy and light! The CC193 carries a 500m F4 plus ID bodies detached and other bits(batteries chargers)
Old 10-03-07, 18:37

I find the non camera bags that I customize and pad them well with bubble wrap or foam/sponge reinforced inside as needed, very effective.

I get them from local thrifty shop that has large quantity and variety to choose. Prefer the ones that go as backpack and have wheels in case weight and fatigue of a long day at its end demands. By purchasing from them, I feel good helping in one way or another with some cause and the price is really dirt cheap.

No you may not look cute or shinny much with it but most importantly, these kind of bags, when left alone (In a car or as accompanied), drive a lot less attention (Specially in a touristic environment) form otherwise enthusiastic that need quick cash or want the camera without paying for it

No mater what you buy, think ahead of time for a provision that tripod or monopod can or might be assisted also as you surely need it if photo session is going to be long.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-03-07, 21:08

Andy,

I see I will have to take time to update myself on your web site. Lots of new toys tested.

I just did a quick visit to see if there was a pic showing the size of the outfit.

Don
Old 10-03-07, 21:14
Admin

Lol, I wondered why I kept getting e-mail updates to this thread ... it was a request for info before I purchased the Nikon 300/2.8 VR, which, as it happens, comes with a great carry case and was just what I needed.

Now I've switched to Canon and have their 300/2.8, which comes with an impractical mini suitcase (as does the 600/4), I'm now looking again.

I'm pretty much decided on a Tenba LL300 case, although distributors are a bit thin on the ground.

cheers,
Andy
Old 11-03-07, 18:28

I'm having the same problem Andy.
Most of the bags that'll fit the lens plus camera are backpack in style, or alteast aren't quite ideal.
I was rather hoping I might be able to get a Billingham RocShoc bag...they did a couple for camera + 300mm f/2.8 and a larger version for camera + 400mm f/2.8.
I contacted Billingham, only to be told they don't make them anymore!
The tenba looked ok, but the wife (who's in the trade) has promised to make up a bag now that I have got together suitable materials and have a drawing and measurements of my ideal bag
Old 12-03-07, 10:18
Admin

Hi Joe,
It will be very interesting to see the result of your wife's labours from your plans...in fact there could be an order for another
cheers
Andy
Old 12-03-07, 11:38

Hi Andy, If you cannot get hold of a Tenba what about a Nikon Lens Case CL-L2 and cutting off the Nikon badge, I went through looking for a bag for my d2x and 500 f/4, I got a lowepro aw600, it was massive to big for me, I then purchased the CL-L2, I am fairly sure you can get the lens fitted to the body in the bag?

If you want you can try it? I was intending to keep the bag for when I purchase a 300mm f/2.8IS but if you want to buy no problem.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/...cessories.html

Cheers
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).