WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

portrait/wedding camera?

Old 02-10-08, 14:32
Super Moderator

Default portrait/wedding camera?

I'm getting more into taking portraits and have done a few weeding (with more to come), currently I'm shooting a pair of 40Ds with 17-40 f4, 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 lenses. I keep thinking about buying a better camera (not an option right now but it might be soon) but am not sure which way to go. So my options are either a 5D, 1D mk III, a used 1Ds mk II or a 5D mk II, what do others think?
Old 02-10-08, 16:45

The only professional wedding photog I know uses a 5D, and is very happy with it - mainly with a 24-105L and 580 flashgun. From reading various fora (forums?) it would seem full-frame is preferred, with people being about evenly split between 1DsII and 5D - a case of which feels better in the hand I guess.
With your wildlife interests, I would lean towards a 1 series body myself, mainly for the armoured/sealed body. (As you know, I use one myself - still with your old lens! - and chose it for its robustness. It has survived two falls onto rocks in water, and various other more minor knocks and scrapes which come with mountaineering with nothing more than comsetic damage)

Last edited by gordon g; 03-10-08 at 08:41.
Old 02-10-08, 16:53

I think the Nikon D3 is well suited for portraits and in particular weddings. Full frame is definately preferred and low noise a must for dark churches and evening wedding receptions. The D700 is also well suited although not considered a professional tool.
Old 02-10-08, 19:19

I own the D3 and it is the mutts nuts, but if I already had some Canon gear then it would be a no brainer - the 5D MkII. The video facility at a wedding is just too good to pass up and I would certainly use it. I wait with bated breath for a Nikon response to the 5D MkII.

My New Website
Old 03-10-08, 08:02

Pete,

As you are a Canon man, it makes sense to stick with the system you have. For others who either aren't committed already, or have Nikon gear, the Fuji S5 has developed a real niche as the preferred tool of the wedding photographer because of it's huge dynamic range and gorgeous rendition of skin tones. I've seen the results from an S5 and they really are quite something for portrait/wedding use.
Old 06-11-08, 20:11

Hi Pete,
I shoot reportage style weddings using 1D MK 2 bodies,built like tanks but are very heavy with a ex580 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 onboard,i'm still thinking of changing to 5D as i used EOS-1V film bodies for years and i miss the huge bright viewfinder full frame camera's have,with the 1D i have 8.5 fps but in reality never use it,a company called "RGB TECH" http://www.rgb-tech.co.uk/product/1679 are knocking the "5D MK 2 "out for £1799,thats £450 cheaper than anywhere i've seen,my only concern is at 21MP will i then need to go out and invest in a new computer to cope with the huge files,Mart.
Old 07-11-08, 19:09

Most of the portrait photographers use to see in the shop used 5D bodies. I'm guessing full frame in a body not as heavy as the 1D is a factor. I take it these will be used just for the non-birding? Full frame isn't the best for tele work.
The 1D series stuff has a massive pro following.
It's a shame you're in the Canon system (I'll prob get shot down in flames by Canon owners for that one), BUT the Nikon D3 would satisfy both full frame portrait work, and with high speed cropped mode, ideal for tele birding shots.

Last edited by Joe; 07-11-08 at 19:33.
Old 07-11-08, 19:29

I use a Nikon D300 and 18 - 70mm AFS NIkor for both wedding and portrait work, looking to go for a D700 and 18 - 200mm VR Nikor next year. However to a Canon man this is not really practical unless you are serious about changing all your gear. I would say the Canon 5D
Old 19-11-08, 11:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Pete,

As you are a Canon man, it makes sense to stick with the system you have. For others who either aren't committed already, or have Nikon gear, the Fuji S5 has developed a real niche as the preferred tool of the wedding photographer because of it's huge dynamic range and gorgeous rendition of skin tones. I've seen the results from an S5 and they really are quite something for portrait/wedding use.
I had been looking at the S5, it seems to be an excellent camera and at under £500 is great value. But by the time I then add a couple of lenses and a flash the cost rockets! There's no way I'd want to change over to Nikon, not that I have anything against Nikon, I just love my Canon long lenses.
Old 19-11-08, 17:56

Generally portraits are much better with a Full Frame by virtue of versatilely it gives to you for crop etc.
Though you may like to look at 1Ds line of products, unless you are very fortunate / have a bank to sponsor you / Your firm is exceptionally wealthy / You are one one very $#@&^!* rich guy etc, you would prefer to go for 5D.
With new 5D Mk II on the horizon, the older very capable original 5D prices are to fall like avalanche. Of course if you can go for New 5DII then you have the opportunity of shooting HD video clips by the same camera and excellent L lenses you have some right now that is a big benefit but most of times, costumers go two independent professionals for still and video shooting so its upto you deciding what works best for you. Used 1Ds Mk II is a good option if you find a good deal (And there are plenty out there). Surprising to me most of 1Ds owners, have saved their gears all the time (As evident by the low auctuation count of second hand ones in the market today) and seems that back up 20D was their main house power!!! I am still seeing maximum number of pros doing their bulk work with 20D so why are you not satisfied with your 40D is another question to me.
You need 1D Mk III if you have too many Sport event coverage. Though some call this body the best ballanced machine Canon ever built.

My suggestions:
- Buy an older good 5D or 5D mk II if you can afford it. Keep in mind that the second one will keep the price for a will longer and first is a lot easier achievable these days.
- Sell your 17-40 L F/4 and buy 16-35 L F/2.8 instead
- Definitely keep your 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4. 70-200 F/2.8IS is attractive but you will have to pay alot for your disc surgeries if you want to run around a lot with it, and your other F/2.8s cover the low light.
- Buy a 50mm F 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 (Both non-L) or Sigma 105mm Macro, but I prefer the first for those especial light conditions that you are garantied to run into often.
- Sell your 40D, buy 2 20D. At about $300 each these days, you can't go wrong with this fantastic camera as your main / emergency body (Same battery, EFs capability in additon to EF etc etc).

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN