WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

What on earth is it???

Old 30-11-06, 21:11

Default What on earth is it???

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to put this - but here goes anyway.

I took three photos of a mountain lake. They all have this strange 'thing' seemingly in the water that to my eyes looks like something generated by either the camera or my computer. I have also attached a drastically cropped version of the 'thing. What do you think it is really? Should I leave it there or try to edit it out?

skwatch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forumholiday1a 073.jpg (55.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg forumholiday 073.jpg (332.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by skwatch; 30-11-06 at 21:14.
Old 30-11-06, 21:31

First question, is the ' thing ' in the same place on each frame irrespective of the scene, or in the same spot in the scene irrespective of camera position.

Don
Old 30-11-06, 21:31

Skywatch,I think perhaps for the moment edit it out,but why not try a couple of other shots,just to test as to whether or not,it is cam or computer,or was there actaully something in the water.Looks very strange.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 30-11-06, 22:53

OK - the 'thing' seems to be in the same place in each photo - seeming to be in/on the water in front of the reflection of the snow/ice. It is there even though I changed position when using the camera. So that sounds like it was something in/on the water. However, I can't think of anything that would be in a mountain lake that would look like that!

This 'thing' wasn't on other pictures taken the same day - or since. Still, to me, it looks like something connected to technology rather than a lake!

I wasn't expecting to have to try to identify Unidentified Floating Objects when looking at my photos. Thanks for looking and scratching your heads too.

skwatch
Old 01-12-06, 07:59

looks like a dead branch floating in the water to me. Nothing unusual in that, I'd say.
Old 01-12-06, 09:55
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
looks like a dead branch floating in the water to me. Nothing unusual in that, I'd say.
Agree...and your lighting and the reflection doubling it gives it more punch than its size alone.

If you have more scenes as beautiful as this, why not post some in the gallery?
Old 01-12-06, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I hate to sound contrary but to me it doesn't look like a branch or piece of driftwood. We hiked in (and up!!) about 5 kms to get to this lake which is fed by streams coming off glaciers.

This 'thing' in my photos looks black and white to me - and driftwood isn't two toned like that. A chunk of old painted lumber just wouldn't be there - who on earth would lug it up the trail? (lol).

Oh well - I can set about editing it out sometime when I have nothing else to do.

skwatch
Old 01-12-06, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Agree...and your lighting and the reflection doubling it gives it more punch than its size alone.

If you have more scenes as beautiful as this, why not post some in the gallery?

I'm glad you enjoyed the Canadian scenery - I hadn't really thought of doing anything here other than asking for help! Maybe I will look up this gallery you mention.

skwatch
Panasonic FZ10
Old 02-12-06, 16:45

Might be gollum . Unfortunately people do spoil such wonderful places by throwing rubbish in the water even in Canada I guess so it might be that. I do agree with Chris, show us some more of your shots in the gallery.
Old 02-12-06, 17:46

Oh boy - there are some wonderful pictures in the gallery - and I consider myself lucky if I get something that looks pretty good to me and my aging eyes! That lake was beautiful but all I did was point the camera (on automatic) and push the button.

What I'm hoping to get from you guys is a better idea of what makes a picture good and what is just a pretty picture. I delete a lot of my attempts. However, I keep plenty of the ones that even I can tell aren't 'good', like those of my family members. Some pictures are memory makers rather than attempts to make art and/or beauty I guess.

I tried to put one in the gallery but it was too big. I'll try again now I've read the instructions!

skwatch