WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Haayalp

Old 15-06-13, 14:36

Default Haayalp

Hi All not been here for a while as I have a new little one, but need a bit of lighting advice....
We have been given a very rare opportunity to work in a school taking pics of groups of the children before a school disco, bit out of our league but hey if we don't screw it up it could be a regular thing working toward the actual school contract.
I have portible supports, Lastolite Hi White background etc but only a couple of 300w lights which light it all ok, they are a bit slow recycling but I will manage, I need to light the background with a third light and was going to use my 580EXII and Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible, this would mean my using the 7D instead of the 5D MKII as it is wireless, I have my Studio light trigger connected but need to know a) can i fire the 580EXII without the popup flash on the 7D? I have it all running with the popup but it seems to give me a dark picture,, if I switch off the popup and the 580EXII it's nice and bright which to me suggests different flash speeds? Anyone got any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Also b) anyone ever had the problem with the ripples showing in the high white pvc background and any tips to get rid of them?

Thanks

Lee
Old 16-06-13, 16:00

Anyone? Anyone at all?
Old 16-06-13, 20:26
Super Moderator

I am not too sure on the issues with triggering the 580 but it definitely sounds like a sync speed issue. What shutter speed are you using? The popup flash will not allow high speed sync so you will be limited to shooting at a max of 1/250th. What sort of studio trigger are you using? Unfortunately the 580 will not work with IR triggers (apart from Canon's own one) but I use mine with a set of cheapie radio triggers. If you have time before he event it might be worth looking into getting a set as they should be able to trigger any of your lights. Or could you use a single trigger/receiver to fire the 580 and slave the other lights off it.

As for the issue with creases the easiest solution might be to push up the power on the light on the background and blow it even further. Depending on the depth of creases this might be enough to blow any shadows that they cause, if not it will just be a matter of dealing with them in PP which shouldn't be too bad. If shooting groups a bigger problem can be people falling of the edge of the BG which can lead to a lot of work on the computer and is definitely best avoided.
Old 16-06-13, 20:38

Cool thanks, Im shooting 1/125th with the studio lights.... cannot seem to set the EXII to same though?? How much were your radio triggers?
Old 16-06-13, 20:51
Super Moderator

Just had a quick look on ebay and found these which are similar to the ones I use - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16CH-Wirel...item20cddc3dc2
that set has three receivers and one triggger for £24 with a single receiver they are a chunk cheaper.

I wouldn't have thought that a shutter speed of 1/125th would be causing the issue, I assume you setting the camera and the flashes manually?
Old 16-06-13, 21:29

I am indeed, But at 1/125th sec with just the two 300w lights im getting lovely bright pics, only when I introduce the 580 the dark pics happen
Old 16-06-13, 21:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I am indeed, But at 1/125th sec with just the two 300w lights im getting lovely bright pics, only when I introduce the 580 the dark pics happen
Then it must be related to the way that the camera is triggering the 580, I haven't looked at the 7D for wireless triggering in ages but wonder if there is something in the settings that might be the cause. It might be time to look in the manual I wonder where mine is...?
Old 16-06-13, 21:55
Super Moderator

Just had a quick look in the manual (easier to find than I expected) and the answer seems to be on page 119. In the menu system go to flash control > built-in flash func. settings > wireless func. - you need to then select external flash only (I think it is the third option with a symbol that looks like a flash gun). That should leave it firing the 580 with no light coming from the onboard flash. Also make sure that you set the flash mode to manual, as if you leave it in ETTL II I think it can override the manual settings on the flashgun.
Old 18-06-13, 19:54

Fanks ..... Got hold of another speedlite so will try all this tonight.. Also got hold of a copy of Canon Speedlite System Digital Field Guide....
Old 19-06-13, 16:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Fanks ..... Got hold of another speedlite so will try all this tonight.. Also got hold of a copy of Canon Speedlite System Digital Field Guide....
how did you get on with this? have you sorted the issue?