WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Sony A55 or Pentax K-5

Old 20-09-10, 18:47

Default Sony A55 or Pentax K-5

I'm very confused on what to get, the specs on both of them look good.
I've managed to narrow it down to these two.
None of these have been properly released, i'm looking for an up -to-date, camera with 1080p video recording and a reasonably good sensor.

Thanyou on advance
Old 20-09-10, 21:01

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk5/
Maybe helps.

http://vanatoi.multiply.com/
Old 21-09-10, 00:26

You also need to consider what optics you want to go with the body. A factor that gets overlooked. It maybe that one or the other has a better choice of optics. Bodies are normally sold with what is called a kit lens. It may not be long before your looking for something better to bolt on the front.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 21-09-10, 16:37

Yeah, pentax do have 35 years of compatible lenses, so that is a good point.
I've looked at the different kit lens options avalible and if i were to get the sony i'd get the duel lens kit.( 17-55 and 50-200 i think)
I don't think pentax have officially released any kits yet, nor have they released the price.
Old 21-09-10, 17:59

I think I'll probably end up rooting for the pentax for a number of reasons: It's weather resistent design(I have been known to damage cameras in harsh weather), lots of compatible lenses, standard mirrors(I think it would be better to let sony's translucent mirror thing improve and take off before I decide to get one) and I'm not to sure on sony's "World Domination Plan" (memory stick pro duo, bravia sync, photo tv hd) which is only compatible with sony.
Old 23-09-10, 11:05

Hi Everyone;

Haven't been around and was just wondering what you have to say about alpha55 that draw my attention and saw this thread. Let me share my half a penny opinion. And to introduce myself, unlike those that give you broad base well established facts and at the end leave you with more doubt and questions that what you started with, I am going to give you a black and white answer as to which one you should buy, but base on my limited knowledge esteemed with the reasoning that I will enumerate and hopefully some one may be provoked to come and firmly debate my thinking so you can get a better contrast and ultimately find a clear answer as to what you should do at the end. I am also strong candidate for pre ordering one Sony A55 currently (To set the record straight)

- First of all are you sure you paid attention to price? From what I see, Pentax K5 is twice the price of Sony a55. Or is it that money is not a determining factor for you that is not understandable at all by me.

- You can't go wrong with either of these two choices that are both excellent in their class but BTW is not the same class.

- Not sure if you say, you already have a good number of older pentax lenses or willing to buy, but if not, did you know all excellent Minolta's older but AF lenses are one hundred percent compatible to Sony alpha line of DSLRs? And BTW if the AF Minolta line of lenses is not superior in terms of number, versatility and (to lesser degree) quality, to pentax (That I think it is), its by no means any less. Zeiss currently makes a good number of very high end lenses for Sony alpha but off course this comes at a price tag. In all you surely have more choice for lens when compare Alpha mount with Pentax AF.

- K5 has many good features such as a faster burst mode of 7 FPS for those sport occasions, incorporated HDR if you like this way of photography and want to by pass the software post processing, surely better ISO features and light possibilities, rugged body, etc. K5 is still a new face lift in a reputable line of old DSLR technology.

- Sony A55 and A33 are on the other hand a total revolution in DSLR as we know them till today. We have never had anything like them till now.
I am talking of transparent mirror; i.e. no upward move of mirror is needed when taking image or when using "Live view", no hassle on the way of burst mode and most importantly, no obstacle on the way of AF when using HD video recording. So no wonder Sony can give you 10 FPS (In speed priority mode) that if you ever tried sport photography, you know how important is even one extra frame in a fixed given time frame, that could be that determining factor between a winner photographer among many not that much fortunate. And not sure if you are able to utilize the video capability of Sony as there are always some of use that are technologically unfriendly or don't like to step up to new horizons but if you can be a bit flexible to make that step upward, you will be very much rewarded. Yes both cameras give you a very good video opportunity as sensor in a typical APS DSLR is about 20 time bigger that an typical digital camcorder but then you never get the opportunity of versatility of SLR and extensive lens opportunity on any but the most professional, top of the line video recorders (That BTW will cost you in five digits $ figure). But did you noticed that Pentax take only 25 frame per second as opposed to Sony that take 30. If you have worked with video editing you know how much of hassle you save yourself not to see a difference between unsynchronized audio timing and video that is an unwanted feature when frame rate is anything shorter that 30.

GPS - Did you know GPS is integrated with a55. This used to be an expensive option on Nikon or Canons that most likely buyer would not purchase it at the end. Sony gives it to you at buying price.

Panorama - Yes yes yes. Every camera gives you option of taking few images and stitch them in post processing but did you know Sony makes it a piece of cake by letting photographer pan around in horizontal or vertical direct, as keeping the shutter bottom down, taking several images at the end, immediately, in the camera these image get stitched to one another at best possible shape to give you that Mega merge pixel panorama image, instantly. No software needed here!

3D - If you are a lucky one with big screen TV and 3D glasses already set up at home, now Sony gives you at no additional optional price a mode on the camera that you pan across a scene, camera shoots several images, alternatively one for right, one for left eye that at end are fused to form a file that is an instant 3D picture. You can impress any difficult taste viewer by home-made, your own 3D images.

Night - Yes ISO numbers may lag compare to some other mid size cameras but Sony again did a revolution here by giving you a mode in the camera that when light is low at night, you take several images of same frame in a fraction of second the add the photons of light available in all images, stock them together to give you one final bright at the same time sharp image. This is the same technology used before to bring out very faint light of galaxies and messiers at night from deep sky, if you are familiar with astrophotography but no manufactures before this have thought of using this feature so wisely for something more commonly used.

Movable LCD - Only a very few manufactures have so far offered DSLRs with tilt able LCD like this Sony model. So say you are attaching your camera to a telescope pointed upward almost vertically into sky when you have difficulty going down to see view finder; You keep the camera on the ground for a very nice antes view image but you are not able to see view finder unless apply all the ground dirt on you cloths; You need to lift your camera up to take a shoot over head of a group of people staying between you and your subject... and many similar situations that if the LCD tilts, you have the convenience of knowing what you image and eliminate that guess work.
List of features goes on so you better check it for your self at Sony's site like this one:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...2#/panel_prod1

And obviously my answer to you is very clear. Sony A55.

This is like tomorrow's technology given to you today (In USA its going to be release after 10th of Oct. probably earlier in UK). I have no doubt that all major manufacturer will do their best to through dirt on concept of Translucent Mirror first but you will see in no time everyone will follow this line and I guess we will see this technology replacing all DSLR's troublesome moving mirror in no time. Yes Pentax K5 is a very nice camera but it is a new model of old technology. You will see a newer K5 version very soon replacing this one when they put their hand on translucent mirror. I am sure some companies will also end up resisting to switch to this technology claiming old is better but a wise consumer knows what to do.

As for waiting on new technology, you are definitely right but at introduced price of A55, then a closer look at shutter of PnS cameras that have been in marked for decade, then looking back to shutter and moving old mirror of conventional DSLRs, you may find your answer easily. What is the first question any seller of older DSLR should answer to a buyer? Certainly "What is the actuation count". So why everyone wants to know that shutter counter in other words, how many times that mirror moved up and down? Simple. Look at the way manufacturers rate or in many case set rules for their warranty. "Shutter count". For most entry level cameras this is set at 50 to 100 thousand and for the top of the line cameras is 200 to 300 K count. So it is very clear that camera creators know it well that if a part in camera is to fail, it is that moving old mirror and shutter. So you choice of going for something so vulnerable to failure in lieu of a new technology that is fixed and Innocent does not make a strong argument IMHO.

Please have no hesitation to be totally disagreeable with my way of thinking but hope to see solid reasons behind other thoughts that would be beneficial to all.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 23-09-10, 17:34

Hi,
Thankyou very much for the review it was really helpful(sorry if I sound sarcastic!).
Before I wasn't fully aware of the k-5's price tag, now I've realised it's over 1 grand it's defo a no go for me.
I have done some more research on the sony, and have come to the same conclusion as you. As you've said the sony has brilliant new technology, and the price is very good.
Luckily as I live in guernsey(channel islands) we have no VAT or sales tax, and I have found a proper sony dealer who can get me the a55 with the twin lens kit for about £680, which I think is a very good price!!
So ultimatly, I am now going for the sony, It really has everything I need in a camera plus more. I reasonably new to photography, and upgrading from an Olympus sp-800uz.
And thankyou again for your help.

Bertie
Old 23-09-10, 17:55

Nice to see you back Sassan. Back with a bang!